Today I wanted to share a list of foods to keep in your dorm room. This list is suited to those living in traditional dorms who have limited cooking supplies and equipment.
Here’s the list:
Foods that don’t need to be refrigerated:
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds
- Olive oil or coconut oil
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Spices- pepper, garlic, red pepper, Italian seasonings
- Kind bars
- Fruit- bananas, oranges, avocados, etc.
- Steam-able sweet potatoes (all you have to do is put them in the microwave!)
- Peanut butter (or any nut butter)
- Nuts (cashews, almonds, pistachios, and more)
- Old fashioned or steel cut oats
- Pita bread
- Whole wheat, whole grain, or sprouted grain wraps
- Brown rice (there is instant microwavable brown rice or you can use a rice cooker)
- Whole grain/sprouted grain bread
- Whole grain cereal (low in added sugar)
- Greek yogurt (I love Dannon Oikos Triple Zero Vanilla Greek Yogurt).
- Milk (I like using Silk Unsweetened Original Almond Milk)
- Fruit- grapes, watermelon, berries, lemons, apples, etc
- Veggies- carrots, bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach, salad mix, zucchini, squash, etc.
- Pizza sauce
- Hot sauce (I love adding extra flavor to my food and Franks Red Hot sauce is my favorite brand; and it doesn’t contain preservatives)
- Rotisserie chicken
- Deli meat (preferably low sodium without preservatives)
If you have a freezer-
- Frozen vegetables (peas, broccoli, sweet potatoes, asparagus, cauliflower, etc.)
- Frozen fruit (berries, strawberries, mango, pineapple, etc.)
- Sprouted grain bread/english muffins (I love the Ezekiel brand)
*This bonus list is for those who have access to a full kitchen (and supplies like a griddle or waffle maker)
- Sweet potatoes
- Whole wheat pasta
- Whole wheat flour
- Baking powder (for healthy muffins!)
- Whole grain pancake mix (I love Hodgson Mills Buckwheat pancake mix; I use it to make pancakes and waffles)
- Lean meat (chicken breast, turkey, beef)
- Egg whites/eggs
I hope this grocery list gave you ideas on foods to keep in your dorm room! If you are interested in reading more about healthy eating in college click here to read about how I use this list of food in my dorm room.
What food do you keep in your dorm room? What’s your favorite healthy food or meal?